Friday, March 25, 2011

Being hungry is no joke.

 I have had an interesting week. Most of it is work drama and I am not going there! Every year, the stores in Orange County volunteer their time at the Second Harvest Food Bank. I really didn't want to go because, frankly, taking 3 hours out of my work day means that my paycheck is going to be smaller than normal and we need the cash! I picked up a few extra hours so that I could feel better about volunteering my time and went with my co-workers. I am so glad I did. Not only did I have a blast goofing around with my Macy's peeps but it was good to get out and do something that can really make a difference in someone else's life. Second Harvest feeds over 200,000 people every month! That number astounded me. That is a lot of people that need food. Sadly, in Orange County, over 600,000 people need food. I could have never guessed that there were that many people in Orange County that are going hungry. Seniors make up about 50% of those in need. So scary because most of those people are not able to just go out and get a job because of their age. They are on extremely fixed incomes and most of the income is probably spent on a place to live. I hope to never end up in a position like that... but with the economy the way it has been I don't think that it is too far from any one's reach. Second Harvest is tirelessly working to reach everyone that needs them. I am defintely going to volunteer again and donate food. I want them to reach their goal!!!!
  Visit the Second Harvest web site and see what you can do to help-  http://www.feedingoc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment